Saturday, February 27, 2010

Butterfly Park

Yesterday started out sunny but a little cool. Good grief, it's starting to happen, something I never wanted to experience again, 50 degrees is turning into "cool". NO, I refuse to allow this, cool temperatures are in the 70's, 60's are cool and 50's you bring out the long johns, winter coats and wool mittens. Of course we've had a few days of even lower temp's but I am armed with full combat gear, two space heaters, furnace set for my comfort zone, dressed in layers from heavy clothes to super heavy clothes. Now that's during the day, night time is another story which is basically all of the above along with my four layers of blankets. Larry won't let me buy a electric blanket, I have a bad habit of covering him up during the night, I keep telling him I'm not responsible for my actions while I'm sleeping. But seriously, any person that only sleeps with a sheet on them, deserves what they get and if that generates more body heat spreading over to the other side of the bed I say, hurray.

So back to the beginning of my story, the day did start sunny and with no wind, so we decided to go for a bike ride. I've wanted to get over to the Butterfly Park which is just a couple of miles from us.
They have their own nursery that you can purchase plants that do well in our area. I've been wanting to find a climbing vine to plant on our fence behind our rig.

Between the excess water from our irrigation system (that's another story) and the hard frosts this winter the climbing vines were all zapped (in the whole park) and the lawn people finally ripped them out. The park volunteer was really helpful on telling us what would grow fast and attract the butterflies.
This is the entrance to the park.
The columns are the entrance to the trails. The volunteer suggested we come back towards the end of March to walk the trails, the plants are just starting to come back and the butterflies will be out.

This palapa would be a nice place to sit and just enjoy the peace and quiet.

Here's the beginning site for the new Butterfly Park Welcome Center. The volunteer was telling us about how nice the center will be and behind it will have planting beds that are geared to attract certain butterflies. The guy said it's suppose to be completed by next Sept but so far we've never seen anything in this area completed by the expected date.

Really didn't do much the rest of the day. Did some walk abouts around our park which takes at least a hour to do after stopping to visit with neighbors. Cypcars invited us over for happy hour so we joined them along with our "wall" friends.

After dinner I decided it was just to nice to sit inside so made a couple of trips around our block to get some exercise. I ran into Pat Olson and her SIL Ann who is here visiting from Denver so made a few trips with them. I'd just gotten home and Jack Mayer stopped so joined him and Poppy for one more trip around the whole park.

So that's it for now. Welcome new readers from Villa Rica GA and Blanco TX and special thanks to regular readers from Roscommon MI and Bay Village OH.

Till next time................................................



No comments: