Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cooler Temps & A Sad Community

The cold front went through late Sunday and the heat index went from 100 to 81 within a few hours. I was sitting outside with niece/nephew around 8pm and when I came inside it was actually warmer inside than outside. So air conditioners went off and door/windows went open. I watched the local news the next morning and it was 61 degrees, hmmm 40 degrees difference, thought it would be a sweat shirt & long pants morning but decided to be brave and stay with the shorts. I've noticed this summer that the heat seems to be harder to take, high 80s - low 90's use to be a nice summer day. Well that morning I walked outside and thought how wonderful it felt out there - and it was only 70 degrees. Am I becoming one of "those" people than can't take the heat and hide inside under cover of the air conditioner? Or only goes shopping at the mall because you only have to dash from car to lots of stores one time. Or grocery shopping only done under darkness of early morning so you can get back home before the sun comes up. Noooo, I refuse to become one of "those" people and will fight this to the bitter end. I swear on a stack of thermostats "not" to turn the air on until it reaches at least 90 degrees in the house, to do my shopping in the middle of the day and have all happy hours under the shade of my awning know matter what the temperature is.

The above is all subject to change without prior notice and at the discretion of the author.


Monday morning Larry and I walked into town to show respect for one of our towns youth that was killed in Afghanistan last week.


Two of the fire departments ladder trucks flew our flag high
above the hundreds of people waiting
to honor this young mans arrival home.


We didn't know this young person but like others there, there wasn't a dry eye to be seen. The street was lined as far as you could see with people holding flags of all sizes and vehicles pulled to the side of the road with people standing beside their cars as the motorcade passes . I guess that's one of the greatest things about living in a small community, standing together as a whole to help an unknown neighbor. Till next time......................

No comments: