Thursday, August 4, 2011

River Boat launch & a Visual Effect

It's been a fairly quiet week around here. Not even sure what we did on Monday. They were predicting some pretty nasty storms but other than a few thunder boomers and some rain (1") during the night that was it. I did get a few groceries so we decided to have dinner at the house. First time I'd use my new gas range and I'm happy to say everything worked great. Now I really need to figure out how to use the oven.

Tuesday Larry and Stint (brother & SIL) came down to the house and we hung drapes in the living room. They did some major remodeling in their family room over the winter and kept the drapes and rods to see if we could use them. They really look great and talk about saving us a bundle. Thanks guys. Afterward we went over to Wendy's to grab a hamburg and a frosty.

Wednesday Larry worked on installing a back up sump pump and I put a couple of coats of paint on a small cabinet I found for the kitchen. I haven't decided if I want to leave it white or try another color. Time will tell.

Today was our grandson day and trust me we don't get too involved in any big projects when Darrius is around. There is a couple of things I have to share. While I was gone (garage sales) Larry asked Darrius to help him finish up the installation of the sump pump. Larry was doing something and when he turned around Darrius was gone. Soon he was coming back down in the basement with the First Aid Kit. Grandpa asked him why he got that and he told him he was just "helping him". Seems Darrius has learned early that Grandpa normally needs at least one band-aid during a project.

Oh, and yes I did find a couple of good bargains. A really neat oval end table and a brand new back pack perfect for the pot lucks in Texas. It has plates, silverware, wine glasses and a place to keep a bottle of wine.

Later this afternoon we went down by the River and took the River Path over to the Island. They are getting ready for the annual Island Art Fair or at least trying to. Up until Tuesday more than half of the Island was under water from the heavy rains. So they are only having a few of the vendors (suppose to be about 100 of them) on the Island and the rest will be set up in the parking lot.

Speaking of the River we were lucky enough yesterday to watch the crew of the J&K Riverboat back this huge thing down in the river. Of course in order to get down to the river they had to stop traffic on the main entrance of our town.

This was taken about half way down the hill he had to back down
One last check to make sure everything is lined up

Slow and easy
And in she goes

Rides are given during the Island Art Fair up and down the Grand River. I think probably the best time for these rides is in Oct when they have the Color Festival and all the trees are changing.

So back to our walk today. When going over to the Island you have to cross the bridge. Of course there are a ton of ducks and geese so we had to make a stop so Darrius could check them out. This is when I had to just step back and shake my head. I turned my back for a second and my grandson and his grandfather were having a spitting contest to see who could spit the farthest and how many ducks would chase after it. YUCK!!! Time to head for home.

With that visual effect I'll say goodnight until next time...........................

No comments: