Sunday, July 4, 2010

Heat + lack of power = generator

I've decided that this old body can't take the heat like it use too. (yes Jack I hear you). I'm not sure if it's because of having such a cool winter that our systems did a about face on us or what. The heat index is only 97 degrees with humidity at a low 50% and we have the air on. I know part of the problem is where we are parked, we are surrounded by buildings and trees so we get absolutely no wind here. Out behind the big garage it's like a totally different place with an open field and large trees but that's not a option. I guess I'm just going to turn into one of those people that like it cool (low 80's) rather than hot (high 90s).

Speaking of air conditioning, did I mention that we have to run the generator in order to keep the power from kicking out when we want air conditioning? Actually depending on how much juice is being used the power goes out even without the air. Shortly after we got here we were having problems with the power management kicking out. The electric company came out and deemed that since we were the last ones on the line the line from the transformer is undersized. OK, fine - so change the line - oh no they say - they have to get an engineer out here to design it. So I'm thinking if you stand at the pole and follow the wire (everything here is above ground) to the other pole than over to the buildings this should pretty much be a no brain er. Sure!!! Two (or maybe it was 3) weeks pass and still nothing, so Larry calls the Power company again. Mmmm - unable to find a work order on this - another line man has to come out -which also says line has to be replaced - engineer design needed - is this beginning to sound familiar. After Larry explained to the second set of workers that all this has been determined they were nice enough to give him a direct telephone number to the person who would be handling it. So at this point the engineer did come and he/she is in the process of doing the "design". Probably no one wants to hear my idea of standing at the pole with a pencil/paper and sketching a picture from point A to B to C. Probably to simple ha? So until they use all the fancy equipment they spent big bucks on to decide how this wire should be strung, we are using the generator for air.

The week has been pretty slow. We're trying to get out every morning for our walks into town. I really enjoy walking the neighborhoods and looking at the houses. You see so much more than when you drive by.

Thursday we had Darrius and decided it would be a good day to go to Fitzgerald Park that is just on the other side of town.
It was a perfect day to walk the ledges
and maybe do a little rock climbing
check to see if there's any sharks in the Grand River
and of course hit the play ground on the way out
As I said before we haven't had a lot of time with our grand-daughter so Friday Anissa and I did the favorite teenage pass time. Shopping and lunch out with gr-ma's $$'s. I took some pictures of Anissa with my cell phone but for some reason it's not getting to my email. So hopefully at my next posting I'll get it fixed and I can share pictures of our beautiful girl.

That's it for now. Hope everyone has had a great Holiday Weekend. We always try to stay home on holidays, just way too much traffic to deal with. One of the benefits of being retired.

Till next time.............................


No comments: