Sunday, October 20, 2013

2013 Fall Trip back to Retama

A lot has happened since the last blog but I’m only going to give you the short version.

Saturday: After blowing pipes out in the house we were on the road before 8am heading north and had a nice uneventful drive of seeing all the color.

20131012_102128

Reached the Mackinaw Bridge with very little traffic and blue skies as we crossed.

20131012_105741

I am not one for bridges, so I was pretty proud of myself that I kept my eyes opened and even looked out the side window. We got to our hotel in Escanaba that afternoon and ended up staying inside as it was raining and chilly. Was hoping to see a little of the sights around that area.

Sunday: We took our time getting on the road as we had less than four hours to get to friends Marilynn & Gary’s house in Sturgeon Bay WI.

That afternoon we got the chance to go over to their son’s homes for a quick visit before Jim & Pat (Retama friends) came over for dinner.

Monday: Gary was our tour guide taking us north in Door County along the Bay through some neat Bed & Breakfast communities. Gary even got me to walk out a very high ledge to overlook the water which that in itself was quite an accomplishment seeing I’m as thrilled with heights as I am going over bridges. That night we went over to Pat/Jim’s for dinner and got to see their new place.

Tuesday: Off to an early start with our first stop at the Winery just down from them. Of course you can’t go to a Winery without doing a taste test and so what if it’s 9:00 in the morning. Then over to the Coffee Shop across the street for a yummy latte before driving into Sturgeon Bay to the Museum. Their son Michael designed, carved, stuffed, and painted the Seasons of Life Display, what a unbelievable display of talent that this young man has. Here’s a little article and pictures about Mike http://map.co.door.wi.us/museum/Wildlife_Diorama.htm

Wednesday: It was time to say our good-byes and start working our way south to Retama. Always sad to leave these good friends but we will see the again in less than a month.

The rest of the week was pretty much the same. On the road, stop at motel, order delivery for dinner than start all over again. We took a different route then we have before going straight down I55, than across I12/I10 before turning off on 124 down to Galveston. I thought it would be fun to take the ferry across, but I wish I’d of thought this through a little more, like the chances of having rough water. Between crossing the Mississippi three times along with many other bridges and taking a ferry that felt like you were on a swing I have decided we will not be taking this route again.

So that’s it for this week. Till next time………………

No comments: