Saturday, August 25, 2012

Accident-Elevator fire - Furniture

Can you believe only one more week of August. Usually by now I have our route figured out heading south for the winter but without having to find a football field to park our rig in I haven't thought to much about it. Other than we want to go through the Upper Peninsula and stop to see some friends that's about the extend of it. I don't have to worry about football fields but do have to find motels that allow dogs. Some places don't charge extra but others it can be as much as $20 a night so I need to do more research on this.

The construction that closed the main street (1/2 block from us) going into town , since June is finally getting close to the end. Completion is suppose to be before school starts the 4th of Sept and it looks like they will make it. Weather wise this summer hasn't delayed them except for maybe one afternoon and these guys have been putting some long hours six days a week. It was a major over haul of the road plus new water/sewer pipes. I swear you would think we lived on a dirt road with all the dust. Windows (outside) are horrible but refuse to do them until they are finished. Special note here - I found that if you want a great streak free window cleaner take a spray bottle, fill 3/4 full with water, add 3-4 drops of Dawn (blue) dish soap and have at it. I give it a good spray where Pepper likes to sit and look out the front door and it cleans it right up.

I have a few pictures to share this week. The first one is of a accident near here that closed down both lanes of a major highway for over 12 hours. Luckily it was a one vehicle accident and no injuries. But some company is going to be hit with a huge clean up bill.
Nothing like thousands of gallons of liquid asphalt spreading across four lanes to put a damper on someones day. Kind of makes you wish you didn't get out of bed that morning.

This one someone posted on Facebook while they were in the UP of Michigan. Pretty awesome ha
There was a major fire at a local grain elevator this week. There aren't many elevator's around here left for farmers to take their crops so this is really going to make things difficult. There are already long lines at these places and with a major one possible not being open and farmers having to drive farther this could be costly.
Yet another garage sale/estate sale purchase that I have to share. I decided that I really would like to have a Secretary Desk in the the living room where I had a hutch. The hutch just didn't fit in there once I put furniture in so I've been watching Craigslist and going to sales and I found the perfect one the other day. After a little negotiation (you know me, can't pay asking price) we settled on a fair price and brought it home. It needed a lot of clean up so I worked on that. Here's the finish product.



If you click on the picture and enlarge it you can see the little drawers and cubby holes. Well while I was cleaning it Larry said to keep a eye out for secret areas. There are these decorative carvings beside the little door in the center and when I started to clean the second one it move. Guess what, both of these pull out and when I peeked inside I could see something. There was a $20 bill stuffed way in the back. So that just sweeten my purchase a little better. I'll admit I thought about taking the $20 back to the place but than who knows how long that's been in there. One other paper we found stuff in another area was dated 1985. Larry did look the numbers up that are listed on the back and found it was built in Flint around 1940.

So did you really think you'd get away without seeing a picture of the grandson. Of course I have two to share.

First I need to introduce you to our soon to be grand baby Dar-Relle. We were at Darrius's football game this morning and of course it was hot and sunny. Thanks to Dar-Relle I was able to have a little shade.

In case you haven't guessed Dar-Relle is a Senior (high-school) this year and plays defensive line. He was just chosen the Coach's pick for best Defensive-men in the CAAC Blue Division.

Again Darrius's team won 14-0. Our little guy is pretty competitive and does not like to loose in any sports he's playing. Wonder where he gets that from.

But it really helps to have a big brother to go over all the plays after the game.

Guess that's it for this week. It's suppose to cool off tomorrow so maybe I'll get ambition to get back upstairs and finish painting the bedroom.

Till next time........................................


No comments: