Friday, April 8, 2011

Grass fire, Mexico trip, tarp & wind doesn't mix

Monday 4th
There was a little excitement in the area as a grass fire started just down the road. We walked to the entrance of our park so I could take a picture. Didn't stay out there long, was really hard to breath. There were times we couldn't see that water tower at all with the smoke, luckily we had the trailer closed up because of the heat so that helped keep some of the smoky smell out.

I asked Larry if we should be hooking up and he said it was miles away and we're just having so much smoke cause of the 30mph winds coming straight at us. Again I'm thinking - fire +within 2 miles-+30mph winds+coming straight at us = get the heck out of the way.

Local newspapers picture
The next day we drove down the road to see if we could see where the fire was. In the first picture above you see the water tower, well that was where the fire was. Just a tide bit closer than the "miles" away like I was told.

Tuesday 5th
This morning we made a quick trip down to Mexico. I wanted to pick up a couple of things and Larry wanted his $4 hair cut. I was a little surprised there were quite a few Winter Texans down there. The parks are all really looking pretty empty. Many of the vendors on the streets have closed up so it didn't take long to walk the two blocks in and back out. The last time we were there they wouldn't dicker at all but today they would.

Wednesday 6th
Since I can't remember doing anything on Wednesday I guess I don't have much to write about. Happy hour was at Donna/Grants and we had a chance to meet Grants brother Ralph and sister in law Pat who flew in last weekend from Michigan. Talk about a sticker shock for them getting off that plane - 30 to 90 degrees within a few hours.

Thursday 7th
This morning we made a quick trip over to the other trailer to finish up the last items of getting it ready for the summer months. Than I needed to go to Walmart for a couple of things. Linda called me while there and I had to cut her short. When Larry's with me there is no "do overs" if I miss an isle or something on my list. That night we went over to Gary/ Marilynn's place for happy hour. David/Linda came over to see Lon/Pat one more time before they leave.

Bill/Kathy phoned about 7:00 that night and mention a trip to Home Depot and the Dairy Queen. Larry told Bill I was already in my PJ's but I jumped up and headed to the bedroom before he could finish his sentence. After I came back down I had to ask who we were going with. I think that's the first time in over a year that we were out after dark, felt weird.

Saturday 8th
This morning we helped Lon/Pat put a cover on their 5th wheel as they were leaving to go home to Michigan.

Here's the beginning of unfolding the tarp
Things were going well
Until - the wind picked up
This is when I put the camera down and helped. Never got a chance to take another picture until it was all finished. I wanted to get one of Larry and Pat up on the roof of the trailer but it took everyone to hold the tarp while they pulled it to the back of the trailer.

Safe travels Lon & Pat and we'll see you again in Michigan for one of our monthly lunches.

Guess that's it for this Saturday afternoon. We just walked to the mail box and it's really toasty out side. Our temp thing says 97 degrees in the shade. It's suppose to stay this way for awhile now. So we'll just hunker down in the air conditioned trailer.

Till next time...............................................

No comments: