Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Cold Rainy Week

First I need to let friends that read this know that when they post a comment on the blog it goes to my email. I cold than allow it to be posted or delete it. I need to review see them before being posted,  you wouldn't believe some of the comments you can get. Anyway some how I turned something off or changed it and I'm not able to post any comments or response to them. I'm hoping my friend Kathy who arrives in another week will be able to help me fix this. So if you need me to response please put your email address in the comment. But one of the comments asked when the Walk Through Retama was and it's January 25th (Friday) from 1-4pm.

Speaking of this event that's pretty much all I've been working on this week. At my last count we have 20+ residents willing to open their places for the public and we still have several weeks before the event.  Have decided on serving Frito Pies along with the popcorn and water. Have our event listed in several area calendars now that gear towards Winter Texans and talked with the paper that they put a full page ad in. Because there are so many visitor (200-300) we have them all park in a vacant section by the clubhouse and use golf carts to move them around. The first year they let people drive around and it's just to dangerous with that many people and vehicles on these streets. Most people are ok with this but some get mad and leave. We'll have Trolley Stops available with Tents, picnic tables and water so this will give them a place to sit and wait, especially if it's as hot as it was last year.  We figure we'll need about 16 volunteers to help with everything. Have a couple of things to do on the Raffle Drawings but those are pretty well done. We asked two other couples (Roger/Dianne N. and Dave/Marilyn  S.) to help over see this and they have been a big help and lots of residents have signed up to help out that day. Got the park map figured out thanks to our friend Mark B. and once we have the final number of locations he will mark these on the map along with the trolley stops. Hopefully this all comes together the way we all want it too.

I think I've mentioned before that the people here in Texas go out of their way to welcome the Winter Texans back every year. They have parties and special events all during the winter for us. Stores have signs in windows that all say Welcome Back. And each year there's a big banner hanging across main street in Mission saying Welcome Back Winter Texans. I have a picture I was going to share but for some reason it won't down load it. (again my friend Kathy is needed)

We have had nothing but rain and cold temperatures all week. We haven't been out of the 40's day or night and with the rain it's just darn right awful. Even Pepper doesn't like it. The first morning it was like this she went outside and walked right under the trailer and refused to go any farther. We'd have to force her to go outside and she'd take about 2 steps on the grass, do her business and run for the door. My sister told me we're turning her into a wimp just like I am. I see nothing wrong with that.

So that fills you in on our week. Oh I have to congratulate my sister in law  who finally has her own lap top computer and her very own email. She will find there is life off the farm.

Till next time.................................







No comments: