Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Friends leaving & meet Flat Darrius

Monday, not a lot going on. Pat and Jim left early that morning for WI. We didn't get a chance to say goodbye to them so have to do it now - bye - see you this fall.

We were a little concerned with Pat/Jim and several other residents here who were traveling around Dallas the day of the tornado's. Luckily everyone was either just ahead or behind the storms. This is about the biggest concern for RV'ers (and anyone traveling) this time of year when most of us have to go through tornado alley. We always keep the weather station on the CB on and we've only had a couple of tense times. But boy do you get nervous when a tornado warning comes on and gives you the county - only we don't no what county we're in.

Tuesday - we went to the water dept in Mission to fill out our vacation form. Our garbage collection is included on this monthly bill so when we fill out the form they take off that and the sewer charges. But when I walked up to the building it was lined out the door so maybe another trip there next week. We stopped at this place where we purchased all the handles for the kitchen cabinets and picked up four more smaller ones. Than a stop at HEB (Kroger up north) for some shrimp for the Paella dish that night.

Wednesday Larry took the truck over to the Kenworth dealer for it's annual physical, oil change, lube and all the other check ups they do. Would you believe this is probably the first time something wasn't found that needed to be replaced so we only had to pay what we actually went in for.

One of our neighbors that left earlier gave me a name and number of a woman from their church who would be happy to come and get any food items we needed to get rid of before we left. So I figured if I had things there would be others here in the park that might have items. So I put a post on our Retama Facebook page that if anyone wanted to drop things off I'd be sure to get them to this woman. I didn't think I'd get too much with so many people already gone but I sure was wrong. I ended up calling the folks and asking them to come earlier than I thought as I'd run out of room in my refrigerator and the can goods where piling up. Here's a picture of some of the items after just a week of putting the post out.
Thursday we went over to Larry and LaVila's and had lunch at this place that I can't remember the name of. They have this very high tech ordering device to get the orders back to the cook. A long wire strung from the counter over your head to the kitchen and they hook your order on it with a clothes pin and shoot it across. Pretty cool ha. Everything runs smoothly unless there's a tall man standing in the way and he gets whacked in the head with it. We had a nice lunch and always enjoy spending time with the other L&L couple.

Friday Larry and Gary went over to the gun range and played cowboys. I needed to get things for Easter Dinner at the Cypcars so make a trip up to Walmart. I wanted Larry to go but he didn't want to so since I didn't have anything else to do I wandered around the store. Well you know that wandering around a store you always find good sales, so I figure it's Larry's fault that I found these things since he wouldn't go with me. But I do have a really neat purse now.

People are still pulling out. Our friends Dick and Helen left on Friday heading back to their home near Denver CO. Also Lon and Pat left on Thursday heading towards Michigan by way of a family visit in OK. They don't live to far from us so we've already made a lunch date in June.

Still working on getting things ready to leave. We got the silver installation all cut and in the larger windows. With the 90 degree temp's this has really helped keep the house cooler. I have the cupboards all sorted out and wiped down. Want to make sure there isn't any crumbs around to invite critters. Larry pretty much has any tools etc in the truck that he wants back in Michigan plus most of the tubs I have are strapped down on the top bunk in the truck. That doesn't leave much left for us to do. Guess we'll watch the weather up there and see how things go with that. But as long as they still have frost at night we'll stay put.

Our grandson Darrius's 2nd grade class was given a assignment to make a cut out of themselves and send it to someone who lives in a different area. You've probably head of Flat Stanley and this is what he's doing, only ours in named Flat Darrius. Well Flat Darrius arrived Friday and will be staying with us until we return him to Darrius when we get back to Michigan. We're suppose to take pictures and document what he's seen and done. So at the end of each blog I will do a little up date of what Flat Darrius did that week.

Here's F.D. being released from his traveling folder


Of course he had to meet his grandparents


But I don't think Pepper's to thrilled on the new member

Guess that's it for this week. Hope everyone has a great Easter tomorrow. Till next time......

No comments: