Sunday, February 5, 2012

Cold days ahead of us

Our warm days have come to an end for at least a week from what the weather report says. It's been in the high 70's but today the bottom dropped out and we are currently at 55 degrees, strong northerly winds and rain. I can feel the sadness my family back in Michigan is feeling for us on having to deal with this cold and miserable weather here and I just want to thank them for their concern. I don't think Larry and I have enough cold weather clothes for a whole week.

One nice thing about cold weather is I get in the mood to bake so this afternoon I made a apple pie desert. I didn't have enough apples to do a whole pie so I took one crust and folded it. I had to guess on how long to bake it and how much sugar/cinnamon to add so I will let you know in the next blog how it turned out. Since I don't have a lot of picture's to share I took one of the pie.

Between this and the short ribs in the crock pot it should be a good warm comfort food dinner.

Yesterday Larry and I went over to this place called Feldmans to look for some saffron, which is a spice that you add to Paella dishes. It's very expensive but you only use a pinch. Larry made another dish last night with shrimp and sausage and we found a smaller paella dish at this place so we're not eating it for three days.

Now that our daughter has told the family I can announce that we have a wedding coming up in Sept. Brandi and Darrell have been together for about 10 years so like Brandi say, "it's about time" wedding. The summer will be full with the high school graduation for grand-daughter Anissa in June and wedding in Sept.

Friday Cathy and I went to down town McAllen to look around. She's a renter here and has never been there. It's mostly shops of clothing, perfume, and flea market stuff. It does have this huge store of artificial flowers and that alone is worth going down there for. I didn't think one place could have so many different ones and most of them were made in China.

Thursday we made a quick trip down to Mexico to look for some wedding things and Larry wanted to get a hair cut. Of course we had to stop at our favorite place for lunch and my margarita's.

Wednesday I went over to the other park to a Genealogy Class. I wanted to see if the person doing the class had new ways of getting information. It's for the next four Wednesdays and I'm not sure I'll do all of them but we'll see.

Next Saturday is the annual Wine N Cheese event, which hopefully we'll be able to have on the patio (weather not looking good so far). Another resident Kathy Detweiler (who isn't currently here :( , miss you Kathy) made a comment on FB about showing talents here in the park. So a couple of us thought this was a wonderful idea to have a Retama Artist Showing at the same time as the Wine N Cheese. We will transform the clubhouse into a gallery with the help of Pat Olson (another resident who is well known in the Art World) as our hostess. Marilynn and I will help with getting people to bring their talents up so the rest of the village can enjoy it. So far we have a wide range of crafts and arts and trust me I'll take lots of pictures for the next blog.

We went to Petco this morning to find some new toys for Pepper. It's always fun taking her to these stores that allow dogs. Her poor sniffer was going a mile a minute. We picked up some rawhide bones and here's a picture of her enjoying it.
She looks a little tired here and it wasn't long and she was doing her other favorite thing.
So that about fills you in on last week. Sure hope when I'm writing this blog it's a whole lot warmer than it is today. Till next time.................

No comments: